Tuesday, May 22, 2007

CITY OF SAINTS: COSMIC BUG WINNER





The influential French website Le Cafard cosmique, which translates as the Cosmic Bug, has awarded its latest Cosmic Bug Award to City of Saints & Madmen. Prior winners include Gene Wolfe and M. John Harrison, so I am well and truly chuffed.

As you can see above, not only did the jury get to talk about books at a cafe, they got to do so in FRANCE, those bastards. Trust me, it wouldn't have been the same if they were conferring in Tallahassee.

The google-translated page about the award is here. According to google's strangled French, it's the Cockroach Award, btw.

I believe translator Gilles Goullet deserves most of the credit, and yet another free beer. I'm beginning to wonder if going to France in October is actually a good idea, given the amount of beer I will be paying for...

Now I just hope there's a bug statue involved...

Jeff

10 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vive le VanderMeer! Congratulations to ze most extraordinaire auteur de current phantastique literature!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Mon ami, you now have official permission to walk around annoying everyone for a week with a bad Clouseau accent.

Personally I'd like to see the Tallahassee version - I can imagine the literary discussion over a bout of 'gator wrestling.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the translator:
it reads "Price of the Cosmic Cockroach"

How much do those bugs cost anyway?

--Eric S

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me Jeff, the price of the cafard cosmique is one of the best in france. It's not the Hugo, but you can be proud. :-)

They're truly the finest amateur of the Sci-fi Novels IMO. the proof ? I'll get your book tomorrow :-)

You'll be more than welcome in france then...

Congratulations,

Seb

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, all. Thanks Seb. Is this Sebastien my beloved editor?

Well, even if not--I should thank Sebastien Guillot, my editor in France who braved stunning heat to show us Versailles last year.

Jeff

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Horia Nicola Ursu said...

Dare NOT to come to France, and ye shall be forever damned! I have cancelled my Eurocon trip to Copenhagen so that I will be able to go to Nantes in November, so you'd better be there!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Horia Nicola Ursu said...

PS: Congrats on the Cockroach award (it's cockroach, not just any bug, by the way)!

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, i'm on the picture. See you in Nantes on november Jeff, we will drink a beer with the other members of the Cafardcosmique's team.

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

k2r2--sounds good to me!

Horia--if you're not there, I will track you down and let loose a Predator on you. I'm serious. If you're not there...

JeffV

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hé Hé, I suspect that Seb is in fact one of the guy present on the photograph.
Don't thank me, it's just a denouncement. Sorry Seb, the truth was to be revealed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home