Saturday, April 28, 2007

CONGRATULATIONS TO TAHTIVAELTAJA ON REACHING 100

Congrats to Toni Jerrman and the staff of Tahtivaeltaja for producing their 100th issue. As many readers of this blog know, I am a huge fan of this Finnish pop culture/genre magazine. Many times I've lamented the fact we don't have an English-language version of Tahtivaeltaja, with its mix of a punk-pop-low/high culture mentality. Anyway, congrats to Toni. He and his staff put a huge amount of work into this publication.


This issue of Tahtivaeltaja includes an insert pamphlet of the Finnish version of King Squid, using John Coulthart's layout and translated into Finnish by Johanna Vainikainen-Uusitalo, the talented translator of City of Saints & Madmen. (She also added a couple of entries to the bibliography.) When we have another book sale in a month or so, I'll be able to offer some copies of the Finnish King Squid for VanderCompletists.



The 100th issue also includes a long interview with me conducted by that collosus among men, a genuine treasure and frog wrestler, Jukka Halme (who, by the way, you definitely need to help send to Japan). JAPAN DEMANDS JUKKA HALME (and Australia would also probably really like Johan Anglemark).

Anyway, congrats to all involved!

Jeff

6 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Aw, cool! My copy is doubtless waiting for me in England. I'll be looking forward to seeing it. Great job, Toni & co!

And yeah, the more fans we have visiting each other's countries the better. Just make sure we get Jukka back, OK?

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if I didn't have enough to do, now I have to learn Finnish...

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an amazing magazine just to look at, and the range of material covered is great. You might have a story by Kelly Link and reviews of Asian cult cinema next to reviews of genre books, next to an article on...whatever. And yet it all coheres.

I should also mention that Teri Jerrman and the Finns have supported me since my first book came out from Prime. (There's also a Finnish "Exchange" from a prior issue.) At one point, I was getting more press in Helsinki than Florida.

JeffV

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Isn't there an old tale from Lapland about a squid and a bear who travel through a great forest looking for the enchanted mushroom? Or did I just dream that? If there isn't there should be

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so writing that...if someone will pay me to. I'm skint.

jv

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose
air jordan
golden goose
jordan sneakers
curry 6 shoes
jordan retro
kyrie shoes
longchamp
jordan 1 off white
lebron james shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home