Saturday, December 16, 2006

MOVING TO MY SPACE

I've been blogging at My Space and I find it better than blogger. It's also better because I'll have a lot of videos and film stuff to post and I can do that on my main My Space page.

I tried livejournal, but that felt too much like "dear diary". But MySpace is a little more personal than blogger, so...I'll probably switch over to myspace by the end of the year. Still giving it a little bit of thought, but...probably.

I want, also, to get back to posts about writing. Although tons of other writers do talk about the PR side on their blogs, I think that pointing out the strings and wires has had the negative effect of taking emphasis off of my fiction onto the peripherals associated with a writing career. (For example, the Shriek movie, an artistic endeavor, continually described as PR for the Shriek book.)

Anyway, if I do move, I feel like it'll allow me to reinvent how I talk about fiction and my own work. We'll see.

Jeff

9 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wordpress, my friend - it's the best thing going, though it takes a bit of jury-rigging to get set up right.

Matt

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, myspace--if that's a better format for your expression, more power to you, but that site is so damn ugly. Obviously a less significant concern than the content, but still . . . .

As for that content, I'll just say that I like hearing about the PR side of publishing. I certainly wouldn't mind reading more about the purely creative part of your work, but I've always (strangely?) liked the business chat. It's a frequent and necessary reminder that writing isn't all just inspiration and talent and fairy dust. Even for an unpublished amateur with a spiral-bound notebook and a Bic, a professional vision leads to actual improvement and accomplishment.

Or so it seems to me.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myspace is a very unfriendly place for reading blogs. First, you have to have an account there to even read the blog (though RSS readers may get around that) and second myspace is blocked by many corporate web filters - I'm guessing your readership will go way down.

If you do make this switch, please allow the full blog entry to be viewable in an RSS reader - this allows me to get around corporate filters.

 
At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wordpress (www.wordpress.com) is way more flexible than any other blogging service and has three times as many festures.

Wordpress!
Wordpress!
Wordpress!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at Wordpress, Matt. I'm not sure it does what I want it to do.

I am alarmed re having to be a member to read the blogs. I didn't think that was a requirement at MySpace.
JeffV

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, you don't have to be a member of myspace to read a blog unless they have it password-protected. I was easily able to read your entries there, and I am not a member. However, you cannot comment unless you are a member.

I personally would not choose myspace because, in my opinion, it's a congested eyesore that screams cheesy.

However, if anyone can make it a classy venue, it may well be you, Jeff.

Best of luck with whichever 'net home you finally settle into.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Kameron Hurley said...

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Not MySpace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that tears it. Kameron, I'll check out Wordpress.

JeffV

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MySpace = MurdochSpace (© Jay Babcock).

WordPress = free, open source, endlessly flexible. Can be custom-themed and has a wealth of plug-ins created by its community of supporters for you to use. And the only ads you'll see are the ones you put there yourself. In short, it's wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home