Tuesday, September 05, 2006

RECAP: WHAT'S COMING UP

Note: Evil Monkey Update Below. 10pm
Another Shriek movie showing, in Chicago, later in the month. From Think Galactic, a great left-leaning SF group.

I'll also be appearing at the Southeastern Independent Booksellers' Alliance conference in Orlando, giving my multi-media Rough Guide to Ambergris presentation this Friday. Thanks to Tor for setting that up. That night, there's a private party that includes a showing of the movie. If you're in the Orlando area and interested, drop me an email.

September 30, I'll be doing a reading at BookPeople in Austin, along with a showing of the movie.

October 8, I'll be doing the Rough Guide in Gainesville, Florida, at the Thomas Center.

October 21, I'll be doing a reading/signing at Borders here in Tallahassee, along with (finally) a book release party for Shriek that night.

For more details on these events, check your local listings. I'll also be at

In other news, the pirate antho Ann and I are editing will have guidelines and a reading period decided Real Soon Now. Tentative title of the antho is Fast Ships, Black Sails.

Reading also continues for Best American Fantasy.

And I am doing the first installment of what may turn out to be a monthly column on Comics/Graphic Novels for Bookslut. First column will appear in the October issue and will focus on Alan Moore's Lost Girls.

Jeff

(Evil Monkey: Hey, fuck up. Did you see this:

This book is fucked up. That’s the only way I can explain it. Plainly, simply, without a doubt, fucked up. So bizarre, I’m not even sure where to begin. The first story was about a necrophiliac missionary that falls in love with a wooden puppet and is nearly sacrificed by a dwarf to a bunch of mushrooms. How a man can write a story like that is beyond me. It’s so out there I don’t think its here anymore.


Jeff: Hey, Monkey Buttface. No. I did not.

Evil Monkey: You can read the whole thing here.

Jeff: He's not a necrophiliac.

Evil Monkey: Listen, fuck up. If your reader says he is, he is. If your reader says he's out there bangin' toads up the ass, then he's out there banging toads up the ass.

Jeff: Don't you have some yardwork to do?!

Evil Monkey: I just gotta rake up all these heads I done cut off.

Jeff: Who is it this time?

Evil Monkey: Well, I cut off Ellison's heads! But they grew back. Seventy times!

Jeff: So it's just Ellison heads out there?

Evil Monkey: Just a whole yard full of Ellison heads.

Jeff: Man, I cannot take you anywhere.

Evil Monkey: I do what I do for society.

Jeff: Society? You fuck up.

Evil Monkey: "How a man can write that is beyond me."

Jeff: I keel you. I keel you with a baseball bat.

Evil Monkey: First ya gotta catch me. [Runs out the door, onto a lawn covered in Ellison heads.]

Jeff [pausing at the door, calling out]: I'm not going out there until you clean up those Ellison heads, Evil! I'm telling you. Clean them up, or it'll be your head. Or else. Or else I'll...I'll stop writing you.

Evil Monkey [suddenly back inside, with a menacing grin]: Well, maybe I'll just stop reading you...)

6 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Kameron Hurley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Kameron Hurley said...

Oh, are you *kidding*??? That story is ALL ABOUT the necrophilia!

That is an awesome reader rant.

My favorite line, "But it’s all fantasy. And to me, this is pure fantasy."

Well. Umm... I sure hope so.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note that the review gives the book five out of five stars.

But is this because it gave the reader hope, for:
"if VanderMeer can get this kind of work published and sold, then anyone can get published."

One of the more interesting reviews that seems to fight within itself as to whether it is a good or bad book.

--Eric S.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, I wasn't dissing the review. Honestly. I am happy to have readers, and readers who like the book even if they think it's crazy town. That's the only reason I pointed it out, really.

JeffV

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing a comics/gn column for Bookslut - I hope you keep it up, we really need one over there.

I'm also dying to hear about Lost Girls. I'm working on a feature down the line of YA updates of the classics (Looking Glass Wars, Ophelia, Romeo's Ex - all these and more are coming out this fall) and I'm really curious to hear directly about Moore. I know it's for adults but I keep thinking about it and I'm so curious (I need to know more before I drop all the dollars though...)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Luís R. said...

Extra points to the reviewer for managing to work in the words "squid fart".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home