Tuesday, September 26, 2006

ERIN'S TWENTY-ONE!



Erin Drew Kennedy, my stepdaughter, turned 21 earlier this month. Here's a recent photo of her with her boyfriend John Gustat (a member of the band County Hell). As I mentioned in a post a few months ago, their baby is due November 28th.

Erin and I have had some grand adventures, including being thrown out of a Chucky Cheese because one of her friends kicked the giant rat in the nuts. I also have fond memories of miniature golf. The first time I ever took her to miniature golf (she must have been 8 or 9), I showed her the correct stance and told her to hit the ball firmly but not too hard. As soon as I said that, she got that look on her face. That half devilish, half mischief-making look, and took a wild hard swing at the ball. It darted off the tee, off a tree, and directly into the hole. "Like that?" she said. "Yes, just like that," I deadpanned.

Not to mention, the incident of the Hannukah Bear.

Just the other day, I asked her, "What're you reading?"

Erin: "Nabokov's King, Queen, Knave."

Me: "That's cool."

Me thinking: That's the fifth Nabokov in the last year. We must've done something right.

For her birthday, we gave her a video camera so she can have something to record the baby with and three books: Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (I think she's going to love Murakami) and both The House of Leaves and Only Revolutions by Danielewski.

Jeff

Sometimes the overlay of reality seemed a sham, and he was certain that one day he would turn a corner on some small, rubble-strewn street, or pass through an archway into a courtyard, and that other, lost world would be waiting for him.

4 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Horia Nicola Ursu said...

Happy birthday to the little one! And may Grandpa Jeff and Grandma Ann enjoy her and her little little one for ages from now on!

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to echo happy birthday wishes to Erin and congratulations to all on the upcoming birth.

A question: are the brief excerpts at the end of your entries taken from a work(s) in-progress?

Also, assuming you could ever find the time, have you considered doing an illustrated version (i.e. a comic book collector series)? Ambergris and its citizens scream to be illustrated.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Erin!

Now not only can you get drafted but you can legally drink a draft beer.

--Eric

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys!

Those excerpts, Jude, are from "The Appogiatura of John Finch," the Ambergris story I'm working on right now.

I'd love to do an illustrated version, but I'm too busy to fund/do a project like that myself. In other words, if someone approached me and wanted to do a script and I got to help choose the artist, I'd probably say yes. But it would be crazy town for me to DIY it.

JeffV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home