Friday, May 06, 2005

SECRET LIVES: Update

Every morning I've got a new chance
I want to land the part of Eddie in The Stranger Dance
Cause he gets to swordfight the duke
He kidnaps the queen
And you think the score's set but you can't truly see
Til you know the two sides of Monsieur Valentine
- Spoon, "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine," Gimme Fiction


For those who might be wondering, the Secret Lives project has been delayed. I've got about 15 more to write, ranging in length from 1,000 words to 15,000 words. In a nutshell, when I set the original deadline for the publication of the book, I forgot that I don't write on demand all that well--I need time and space for ideas and images to reach their full potential before I set anything down on paper. And when you factor in the edits to Shriek that I'm engaged in--which are a wonderful opportunity, which are opening the book up, which are making the tips of my fingers tingle--it's unlikely that (1) I'll have the remaining secret lives finished until around August-September and (2) the book itself will be out until around Christmas. I'm sorry for those who preordered, except that you guaranteed yourself to get the book, since it's selling out rapidly. Please be patient. It's important to do this right. I don't ever want to just rush anything out there. As most people know, though, I do follow through on all of my projects.

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

(Evil Monkey: "So when will my secret life be done?" Jeff: "Did you order one?" Evil Monkey: "No. But I want one." Jeff: "Isn't it enough that you infiltrate my blog entries." Evil Monkey: "Is my secret life done yet?" Jeff: "No." Evil Monkey: "...how about now." Jeff: "It's still not done." Evil Monkey: "...how about--" Jeff: "See this frying pan?" Evil Monkey: "Yes." Jeff: "Where is it now?" Evil Monkey: "Lodged in my head." Jeff: "Looking back, can you think of a way you could have avoided this outcome?" Evil Monkey: ".........")

1 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Blogger Luís R. said...

Actually, doesn't Evil Monkey lead a (now not-so-secret) life as a writer called Jeff VanderMeer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home