Monday, January 10, 2005

hello,world

Thanks for the introduction, Jeff, and thanks to Neddal for some really great posts over the last couple of weeks. Great job, and a hard act to follow.

Hello everyone, I'm Iain and I'm going to be looking after this place for the next two or three weeks. I'm going to be posting about all manner of things, from new noir writers and the short crime fiction scene on the web, to how death and betrayal hide in the mysterious numbers of the shortwaves, from an article on an unsung great writer, to recordings of the ephemera of people's lives, the lost and the found and the overheard. I hope that somewhere in it all, you find something to interest you. Even if it is just the Neuticles.

I write crime fiction. Except when I write fantasy, or horror, or mainstream, or something that lies in between all of them. Which is much of the time. I keep wondering whether I should settle down to one but hey, butterfly mind, and scared of men with nets. It's been a quiet year for short fiction, as I've been working on finishing a novel (status report: yeah, nearly done with the revision. Honest). Recent publications have been my story 'Lilies' in issue 2 of Peter Crowther's great magazine Postscripts, a couple of pieces in the Lambshead Guide, and 'The Marsh' in All Hallows. Coming up early next year is 'One of Us' in Alfred Hitchcock's, and at some point next year 'The Turning Of The Tiles' in Black Gate 8, which is a sequel of sorts to the story 'Looking For Goats, Finding Monkeys' which appeared in Black Gate 6 (link goes to an excerpt).

If you want to see anything else about my writing, feel free to check out my website or email me. I have a blog at my website too, but while I'm blogging here at Jeff's I won't be posting anything that isn't appearing here. One is enough.

That's enough about me. I'll be back some time in the next twenty-four hours with a post (this is a euphemism for lengthy piece of evangelism) about one of my favourite writers, a writer of huge talent who I think is criminally under-appreciated in general, and in discussions about the literary fantastic in particular. See you soon.

4 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Iain. Great post. Looking forward to it!

And you're right--you write all kinds of fiction, not just "fantastical" fiction.

Best,

JeffV

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed my run. I'm really looking forward to yours.

--
-N

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the first story you ever wrote, Iain, was In Nemonymous, I believe.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers, people. And yes indeed, my first story (well, the first one since I was about ten) was Ice Age, published in Nemo 2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home