Tuesday, August 24, 2004

INTERLUDE: Michael Connelly's Bosch Novels

I've always loved mystery/detective novels, but in the last year it has become an absolute addiction, since the narrative pace of most of them means I can read them while riding the exercise bike and still follow along.

Lately, I've gotten hooked on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch detective novels. To me, they read like a cross between early James Burke and Lawrence Block--more descriptive than Block, less so than Burke, "typical" damaged detective main character--lots of character development there. Very good twists that you don't see coming, and very good writing. Very taut writing. When I saw this guy was a national bestseller from his first book, I expected Grisham's lame style. But instead, these are excellent noir-ish detective novels. I'm half-way through the fourth, The Last Coyote, and it's as good or better than the first three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home